Surprises and Blessings

As we sat there praying and worshiping God I felt such peace. THIS is the reason I am here. This is what brings me joy. Being able to draw close to God with others and help them to do the same.

The last week has been such a blessing to me. My friend N invited me to a youth camp retreat (in Spain this does not mean under 18 it can mean up to 40!) and I went in not knowing what this time would look like at all. I have been to a couple of different youth events since moving here but there are always new adventures and every single one is a bit different for me. She had a whole bunch of people coming from the Canary Islands and so I figured if nothing else I could get to know a few more Spaniards and practice my Spanish some more. What I didn't expect was they way they accepted me as an honorary Canarian and how blessed I would be by them. These people who took the time to invite me into their group and were patient with my Spanish, are a blessing I won't soon forget. What was supposed to be a 4 day retreat then got extended to four more days getting to know this group better and seeing how God is working in and through them, a group of people who truly love the Lord.

Another surprise for me was the fact that although I was in Spanish from waking to sleeping for a week, God helped me to be able to truly enjoy it. I didn't hit the same huge language walls I used to where my brain would shut off and be done. I had moments of course but I never fully checked out. The accent was different, they talked super fast, and all at the same time but I still was able to follow along more or less the majority of the time and that was super exciting for me. Especially when I realized that there were times even those from Madrid or other parts of the Peninsula didn't understand them, and as the week went on and I could feel myself understanding more and more. Last night we even played Taboo and although there were lots of words I didn't know or couldn't come up with quickly, I did have some victories and I was thankful for this (especially since it was at 2am!).

My biggest surprise of this week though has been how God has meet me in Spanish. I can finally feel myself truly worshiping in Spanish and I find myself choosing the Spanish songs over the English ones. I can listen to a sermon and catch almost everything that is said and when I am praying, I am more and more often talking to God in Spanish (although praying out loud in Spanish is still a HUGE fear of mine). This morning after very little sleep, two friends from this group and I were talking about devotionals, talking about God in our lives, singing, worshiping and praying together and I never once found myself wishing for English. I felt myself relaxing and enjoying the gift of this group and the gift of language that God has given me.

The journey is not over, nor do I ever think it will be, but I often forget to look back and thank God for bringing me this far. A year ago I sang songs in church as a language experience, not to experience God. I would have to come up with all kinds of games to not fall asleep in church as the sermons would be so difficult and my brain would just shut off. After 2 or 3 hours with people in Spanish I would need to go home and have a break. It's incredible to think of what He has done and how far He has brought me. I am overwhelmed and blown away by the goodness of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trusting Is Tough

SAD... Replaced with JOY!

September