True Worship

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."   James 1:27

"Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the causes of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows."  Isaiah 1:17

How often do we hear these scriptures and do nothing about them? They always speak to me and I always determine I am going to do a better job, but then I walk away from my devotional time or church and forget to live out what I have read.

Let me tell you about Moses. Not the Moses you have all read about and know very well. Mercadona Moses. Mercadona is the grocery store in my little town and Moses sits outside from open to close almost everyday its open. I don't know his full story but I know that he has applied for work and no one will hire him. Every time I pass by him he gives me scripture and blesses me. Moses is my brother, yet so often, I just walk by. Every now and again I'll buy him a bottle of milk or a loaf of bread or sometimes even some rice and turkey, but today was different...

I drove into Mercadona with my music blasting enjoying the day. I had had a wonderful day where God had really blessed me just with conversations and activities and even a 1 1/2 hr siesta (thank you Spain!) AND a massage, so as I headed into Mercadona to grab a few things since it will be closed the next two days I just waved at Moses as I passed him and kept going. As I got out of my car, I saw Moses walking towards me. He told me he had come because he needed to see my smile and my beauty because it was a blessing from God (WOW!). Now this wasn't creepy at all. He is such a kind and compassionate person. We talked for a little while about how God takes care of us and blesses us in big ways and little ways. As I said good bye and walked into Mercadona I felt God calling me bless him today. So everything I bought for myself I also bought for him.

As I drove out of the parking lot, I stopped to hand him some bread, rice, turkey and fruit, not really a whole lot, not even €15 worth of food and the look on his face was complete gratitude. He said, "God bless you" and I replied with "you too" but he stopped me and said, "No. May God REALLY bless YOU." My heart quickened as I drove away and I knew that God had completely asked me to give exactly what was needed to His child, whom He loves.

Now I'm not telling this story to talk about me. The number of times that I have walked or driven away without doing what I think God is calling me to do far outweighs the number of times I obey, but this one instance I got to really see God work.  As I sit here writing this I can't help but think how many times we are too busy or too distracted to look outside of ourselves. Today God blessed me. And all I have is true thanks because in this moment I can feel God's love pouring on me and spilling onto to others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAD... Replaced with JOY!

Not Quite as Easy as Driving Miss Daisy

Trusting Is Tough