Home Stretch

One week. Three exams. One paper.

Written like that it seems so easy. So quickly over. So exciting and yet so sad. Everything I have learned academically, relationally, spritually. How can it all be over in one week? How can I measure the value of learning to persevere? How can I measure the value of all that I have learned? How can I measure how much I have learned how to rely on God?

God has gotten me through. Yes this has been so good, but it has been incredibly difficult. Yet I wouldn't give it up for the world. Would I do it again? Ask me another time. When I broke my feet I knew that I would see the benefits of that and I did. I thank God for the lessons I learned through that experience and I thank him for growing me. When I look back on my summer at CanIL I hope I can do the same.

I am already done one course. Phonetics. One of my favorites. I got to learn all the sounds of all the languages in the world. It was so much fun. I had three exams this week. One on Production (producing the sounds I had learned). One on Dictation (being able to transcribe words based on the sounds I heard). One on Theory (knowing all the technical aspects of these sounds). I wrote the last exam this morning and it was a bitter sweet moment. Knowing that I was finshed was somewhat nice. But I will miss making a fool of myself trying to say all sorts of ridiculous sounds (including Darth Vader's breathing). I also can be thankful God got me through this week. I got sick. Really sick. The last two days I haven't been able to stay awake longer than 4 hrs (until now), with the average being 1 1/2 hrs. I slept a lot and prayed that God would help me to pass my finals. Which I did.

Next week is coming and that marks the end of my other three courses (two of which are very difficult), and the due date of one of the hardest papers I have ever had to write (we recieved an unknown language and have had to figure out all the grammatic aspects of it, including: definitions of words, phrase structure, typology, and what seemed like 10 other types of structure). This paper will take all weekend (should be longer) and I have been working on it all semester long. I don't know if I will finish, but again I am trusting God. (please pray for me).

Next Friday I will say goodbye to all my friends. Up to this point I have been focusing on the end of school and being able to breath again. Being able to have a summer. Being able to be stress free. But I don't want to say goodbye. The first two weeks I was hesitant to form good relationships because I knew I would have to say goodbye in only 9 weeks. But now, I have learned the benefit of these relationships and have seen how many times the people I'm surrounded by have been the ones that have gotten me through.

God has sent me two kindred spirits in Monica and Jenneka and I will have the hardest time saying goodbye to them. Luckily, I get to spend some extra time with Monica as I take her down to Seattle, and I will hopefully be back out West again soon to see Jenneka, but I know it won't be the same as having them across the hall. These two ladies have been my spiritual sisters, helping me along the way. My sounding board as I have tried to figure out life and school. My mom's while I was sick. And my best friends. Saying goodbye will be hard. But there is a season for everything in life and this I have to realize. Luckily, I live in a world of technology where I can still skype them and fly to see them and call. I can text and send mail (although that is a bit old fashion :P). I know that they have changed me into a better person and I hope I have done the same for them. Please pray for them as Monica prepares to go overseas with Wycliffe and Jenneka begins her Masters at Trinity in the fall.

And please pray for me. Pray that I will finish well. That I will bring glory to God and that I will rely on Him and Him alone. Pray that He will give me the strength I need and the motivation.

God is good. God brought me here and although I cannot yet see what the benefit of the training I have received will bring, I can see the benefit of relationships and the benefit of perseverance. I hope that I leave with joy. The joy of knowing that God has used this part of my life for his glory and knowing that I relied on him. God is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trusting Is Tough

SAD... Replaced with JOY!

September