Exprésate

This past weekend I had the amazing opportunity to attend a Christian Police Retreat here in Spain. Now I know what you're thinking... wait, Kaitlyn, you're not a police officer... and you're right. It was the same though I had when my friend Nayra invited me. But through some convincing and hearing that other friends would be going as well, I finally decided to sign up. And I'm glad I did!

As I was driving to the event I was super nervous and at the same time grateful that there were other people going who weren't police, military or ambulance workers either. My friend Paula, who is a psychologist, and I talked a lot about how awkward we felt going to this event, and what we were going to say when someone asked us what we did, and then when they found out we weren't service workers what we would say. However, I never once felt inferior or unwanted at this event. Which completely blew me away.

I can say truthfully, that I have NEVER been in a conference like this one. The people I met are some of the most caring, loving, kindest, funniest, laid back people I have ever met. The first day I saw many of them in uniform and I immediately felt the need to respect and honour them, but when they took these uniforms off, I was laughing right along with them. I really enjoyed getting to see both sides of not only my friend, but many others as well.

My friend Nayra is Guardia Civil which I have heard is similar to SWAT team. When I see her in uniform I am often nervous and have HUGE respect for what she does, but at the same time she is one of the funniest people I know and always has a smile, a hug and a funny face to make.
As I reflected on this, it made me think a lot about God. About how we often focus on how loving and caring He is OR how we should respect Him. We often have such a hard time understanding both sides, but that doesn't mean He is two different people. Just like the people that I met aren't less human for being police, military or ambulance workers.

Have you ever stopped to think of the person behind the uniform? Whether they have a family, whether they know God, what difficult situations they have going on in their lives, etc. Most people, when they see police officers, military men or ambulance workers, don't immediately think of the people behind the gun; the heart beneath the uniform, the emotions they have, the struggles they face, the decisions that they have to make or the person that they are when they are not in uniform. This event changed my whole view of those who serve and protect us, for the better.

I also got to enjoy a small glimpse of heaven. I believe there were 11 different countries at this event and I was so blown away to see how that did not stop us from communicating, caring and getting to know one another. One evening, while an Italian woman was singing worship songs, I stopped to listen to our group worshiping in Italian, Spanish, English, German, Portuguese, Zulu and probably more that I didn't even understand all at the same time. It was such an amazing experience for me to be a part of and it made me so excited for heaven.

As I was driving away from the event, we passed a Guardia Civil car and instead of the usual thoughts I have had which included worrying about what have I done wrong, and extreme nervousness, I immediately felt filled with love for them. I wanted to know how their day was going, how I could pray for them and what was going on in their lives. As I expressed this to my friend in the car she said she had the same feelings of connectedness to them as well.

So as I reflect on all of this, I want to challenge you. The next time you see a police officer, an ambulance worker, a firefighter or anyone that works to protect us and serve us, instead of worrying about yourself, pray for them. Be grateful that they are willing to put their lives on the line for us and think about them as real people, with real lives. I now have many friends whom I love and who just so happen serve and protect us. I feel very grateful to God for this.

            Worshiping in all languages.
The non-police invitees dressing up.
Great friends = Great times (Paula, Me and Nayra)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAD... Replaced with JOY!

Not Quite as Easy as Driving Miss Daisy

Trusting Is Tough