Highs and Lows

November has already been quite an interesting month for me! I have been quite busy and I've had highs and lows.

This past week I was quite sick for most of it, but God was gracious and gave me exactly what I needed when I needed it. I also had midterms this week and since I have such bad test anxiety I was worried about it, but once again God provided for me.

On the exciting part of things, yesterday was an extremely successful day for me! I finally got a Spanish phone number! I am so thankful for this as I no longer have to carry two phones and I just feel as if the whole world is opening up for me. I also had a bit of homesickness this past week and God provided in little ways for me, like Rice Krispies and Ginger Ale. What gifts! :)

An interesting event that happened this week was reverse culture shock. I had gone grocery shopping with Angela (a fellow Canadian) and we ran into Debbie (the field director's wife). As we were standing there speaking in English a man came up and started talking to us in English. About 5 minutes into the conversation I realized that I was having reverse culture shock in that I couldn't figure out what was going on. I was in the Mercadona (grocery store) where I usually have an almost completely Spanish experience and I was hearing English. I really didn't know what to do with myself. I am taking this as a good thing that I am shocked when I hear English. I think it means that I am adjusting and growing in my Spanish ability.

On another note, every week, I have team meetings with the Temp Team (the team that I am currently on). Most of our meetings are in Spanish since I'm the only one that doesn't speak Spanish and there are a few people who don't speak English. Last week at the meeting I was able to engage in the conversation and speak my thoughts about our topic in Spanish, with minimal help for the words I didn't know. I found this to be very exciting! At the same time, I am still quite a long ways from being fluent so please continue to pray for my language learning.

Thanks for your love and support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAD... Replaced with JOY!

Not Quite as Easy as Driving Miss Daisy

Trusting Is Tough